Easier Motor Encoder Alignment
for Faster Production
Quantum Devices QC201 Commutation Indicator is an innovative way to time an encoder’s commutation channels to a motor. This easy-to-use handheld device measures the distance (in electrical degrees of commutation) of the rising edge of the encoder’s U channel from the motor’s locked winding position, eliminating the need to back drive the motor.
By simply rotating the encoder on the locked motor shaft you can fine tune the commutation alignment with the digital indicator display. This provides a quick and accurate method of timing encoder commutation channels to a BLDC motor.
QC201 can be used on any of Quantum Devices’ commutating encoders:
View or download PDF for specifications & instructions:
Design Features & Benefits
The traditional process of commutation timing for BLDC motors is time-consuming and is often the bottleneck in manufacturing.
QC201 is ideal for OEMs assembling large volumes of motors and/or smart motors.
- Static motor shaft assembly & timing
- Simplifies & shortens timing process
- Reduces production time
- Eliminates back drive equipment
- Clear readout in electrical degrees
- No oscilloscope required
- Adjustable line count & pole count
- 9 VDC power supply brick included
QC201 saves time and money by making the motor timing process faster and more accessible.
How to Use the QC201
Using the QC201 Commutation Indicator is simple and reliable. This video demonstrates the installation and commutation alignment of a Quantum Devices QM35 encoder using the QC201.
Commutation alignment with QC201:
1) One phase of the motor is energized locking the motor into position.
2) The encoder shaft is rotated to a visual reference position, which corresponds to the encoder’s leading edge of the U commutation channel and the index pulse.
3) The encoder is assembled to the motor and the shaft is locked in place (via encoder set screws).
4) Plug encoder into the QC201 commutation indicator.
5) Rotate body of encoder to desired commutation alignment as indicated in electrical degrees on the QC201 display. Then fully secure encoder to motor to maintain timing position.
6) Disconnect QC201 and de-energize motor winding. The assembly is timed.
View or download our white paper for additional detail:
QC201 Available Now from Quantum Devices
Our commutation indicator is unique in the marketplace. It’s compatible with all Quantum Devices’ commutating encoders. We offer free evaluation units for qualified projects.
The QC201 Commutation Indicator is designed and manufactured in our vertically integrated facility and backed by a 2-year warranty. Contact Quantum Devices to place an order or inquire how the QC201 can save you time and money.